Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Social bookmarking

There are all sorts of things you can add to blogs to make things user friendly. Looking at various other blogs there are all sorts of icons at the bottom of the post so you can bookmark it at whatever bookmarking site you like.

I wanted to add a couple of links for any user that wanted to do this, especially as it may not always be easy to bookmark an article if I have linked to another web page.

So I had a look round and digg.com and del.icio.us looked to be the most popular / practical. I already think technorati is a good site so Iwanted to include that too.

I had a look round for some simple guides on how to add buttons to the blogger template and found this excellent primer for digg.com Add Digg button to Blogger or Blogspot. The good thing about it is the techniques can also be used to position other similar buttons.

Then I moved on to add a del.icio.us button. I couldn't quite find what I wanted on their site and a google search didn't turn up any gold nuggets. So I went back to the Tips for new bloggers and came across the useful free tool they use to bookmark their posts. A useful widget from addthis.com. This widget basically lets the user choose which site to bookmark the page too including all the usual suspects and some unusual ones as well. So this stylish little icon at the bottom of my posts can be used to bookmark articles just about anywhere.

A job well done I think, so enjoy. I have also signed up to digg.com and del.icio.us so I may be back later to report on how things go.

No comments: