Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What bloggers do

Dave Winer, who according to the BBC is the father of blogging and a pioneer of RSS feeds, introduces a column on technology by giving an insight into how a blogger writes.

"I'm a blogger, therefore I like to write short two or three paragraph essays on things I care about. The BBC asked me to write an 800-word column on new technology I want, but being a blogger, instead I want to write about five or six things in 200 words each. That's what bloggers do."
My response to this is that although a lot of blog posts seem to be short the bloggers that are passionate about what they have to say write longer essays. To suggest that most bloggers do not write more than a few paragraphs about something they care about is at best a wide sweeping generalisation.

Some of my articles are very long especially if it is something I care about or really interests me. A lot of the subjects and articles I write would be very difficult to write as short articles especially given the research I occasionally put in.

If you want short articles you can read the main stream media.

Bloggers give a twist to the material offering opinion and ideas that you cant find on the main sites. That's what bloggers do.

For those interested word count: 222 (oh the irony).

No comments: