Tuesday, June 12, 2007

'The Apprentice' - the Interview Week

I only just caught the repeat but I thought as it is one of my favourite weeks I would write up some notes.

So after Naomi's exit last week, which was a shame as I liked her she was a lovely lady, we move on to the interview task.

I like the interview special, a bit of aggressive interviewing, you don't have to be nice to the candidates. If you think they are making it up or fumbling then you challenge them. I would happily give that a go, so Sir Alan if you need someone from HR to help out give me a call. Although I can imagine what Sir Alan might have to say about people in HR, I think it might not be repeatable in polite company.

Pre Interview quotes

Tre: " I was handling board meetings at 18"

Simon" If someone tells me to turn left I will immediately turn right"
[I hope the police have taken note, here is a man who should not have been able to pass his driving test]

Katie: "I have a ruthless streak with an edge to it and I'm not afraid to use it"
[Now that is a dangerous weapon]

The Interviews

The three experts as before were: Claude Litner (global trouble shooter), Bordan Tkachuk (Chief Executive Viglen computers), and Paul Kemsley (property developer / friend).

Tre:"I don't think I know how to be shy"

Tre:" I have a home office and an office abroad"
[Tre talks about his extensive business empire which seemed to belong to his family rather than him.]

Tre:"It's not a bedroom it's a home office"
[Tre gets a bit touchy when challenged about his bedroom / home office.]

Katie: "I didn't get to where I am staying at home playing mummy... I don't need maternity leave any of that bull."
[I am not sure she did herself any favours there.]

Lohit: "I'm a leader... I'm not here to be nice."
[What a nice little comment, oh wait he didn't mean to be nice that is him trying to sound ruthless.]

The Consultants meeting with Sir Alan

About Tre:

Paul: "Tre runs a global corporation from a bedroom... He's a fantasist."

Claude: "He did zero research"

Sir Alan to Paul: "He wont be on your Christmas card list."

About Kristina:

Claude: "Strong positives... hasn't really progressed very well...competent, hard working... credible candidate."

Bordan: "Bright, Cheery."

Paul: "Good person, high integrity."

About Katie:

Paul: "Powerful aggressive lady... couldn't work with her day in day out, do my head in... she's a go getter"

Claude: "She is a showman... I wouldn't let her run a company... she hasn't got a clue."

Bordan: "She is totally ruthless... What's her motivation to be on the apprentice... She's got something... It's only about winning for Katie... Is this just a leapfrog for something else"

About Lohit:

Claude: "Least credible... Deeply unimpressed."

Sir Alan: "I don't think he actually knows what he is saying most of the time"

Paul: "Nice guy, boring."

About Simon:

Paul: "He is a gross underachiever... He hasn't done anything"

Bordan: "Hit hard, couldn't recover from it."

Claude: "I wouldn't write him off... given the change he could succeed."

The final chance

Lohit to Sir Alan: "I'm not trying to convince myself, I'm trying to convince you."
[I like this quote it was honest.]

Your Fired!

Tre when asked about the difficult interview:" He wouldn't let me finish a sentance..."(at this point he was interrupted by Sir Alan).
[What is the secret of comedy, Sir Alan knows it is timing.]

Your Fired!

Then it was Katie's turn to face the spotlight...

Your in the final!

Katie:"I don't want to make a fool of you, I don't want to make a fool of me... Ok...erm... I think its more important to get my plans in place... I suggest I stand down."

You... resign?!?

I have to say she did look very torn and it was obviously a very difficult decision for her to make but the jury is out on whether she really wanted to win anyway. The cynic inside of me says that she wanted to go to a point where she could could turn Sir Alan down and say to everyone that it could of been her. However, if that was the case it was also clear she was choosing a point where no one else lost out because of her game plan.

Alternatively everything she said could have been completely heart felt and it was a really difficult decision for her. For me the jury is still out.

Which left Kristina and Simon in the grand final tomorrow night...

If you need more apprentice news you can have a look at what happened to last years candidates.

No comments: