Friday, March 09, 2007

Preparation, Preparation, Preperation

Muggins here was interviewing again, I was supposed to be having an administration day catching up on paperwork but I got dragged in.

Any recruitment person will tell you that one of the biggest mistakes you can make as a candidate is failing to prepare for an interview. There is probably only one scenario in which you would not need to bother with preparation. You must have done a similar job with a similar organisation for the last ten years and this is your tenth interview for a similar job in a similar organisation this week and even then I would still advise spending five minutes going over things in your head.

Thinking of candidates failing to prepare lead me to Tony Blair's famous speech of "Education, Education, Education" which he made to the labour party conference in 1996.

"Ask me my three main priorities for government, and I tell you: education, education, education."
(I could not find the full text of the speech but the quote is referenced from this BBC article)

My version therefore for prospective interview candidates is:

"Ask me my three main priorities for successful interviews, and I tell you: preparation, preparation, preparation."
-Zephyrist, 9th March 2007

Jobs are hard enough to get at interview without candidates self selecting themselves out by failing to prepare. I know I have been on that side of the table as well.

Now in a homage to Scrubs I am going to do a JD style summing up. Imagine some nice backing track while the scenes change from one character to the next with the following voice over:

"Some people prepare, some people prepare to fail, others fail to prepare. As for me, I just prepare for the best and worst that life has to throw at me."

No comments: