Thursday, March 22, 2007

Microwave plan for colossal squid (Source: BBC)

This article tickled my sense of humour.

About a month ago fishermen caught this giant squid off Antarctica which weighs in at 495 kgs and 10 metres in length. Since it was caught it has been kept frozen and scientists want to study it but first have to work out a way to defrost it.

Hence the requirement for a giant microwave, anyone know the timing for it, how many hours on the defrost setting?

I also liked the handy little size comparison chart the BBC have provided where a London bus is used as reference point.


So now we know you can fit one sperm whale in two London buses and have a metre left over.

We also know that a sperm whale is equivalent in weight to five London buses.





Source: BBC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a well known fact that when Britain rules the world again the London Bus (LB) will be the accepted international unit for lenght and weight, e.g. "I've been really good on my diet, I've lost nearly 3 milli-LBs" or "my car ran out of petrol, I had to walk 50 kilo-LBs to the service station"

Height, of course will be universally measured in terms of SPCs (St Pauls Cathedrals)....