Sunday, July 24, 2011

My own J Wilson Hepburn original oil painting

I have had a print of a J Wilson Hepburn original oil painting for many years and I have written an article about it in the past.

I love the atmospheric nature of the print and the depth and richness of the blues which means I cant stop looking at it. One of the reasons I wrote the previous article was to try to find other prints / paintings that might be by the same artist.

Well finally on ebay I have found and bought an original oil painting by J Wilson Hepburn.













It is a huge 56 inch by 23 inch painting (including the frame) called "Channel Bound". It is as atmospheric and spellbinding as the bishops rock print I also own. Now all I have to do is find a suitable house and room to display it in.

It is still in its original frame and has a note from J Wilson Hepburn himself which states:
"This picture should be varnished approx. six months after acquisition, this should be undertaken professionally as it is important that the right materials are employed."
The label also has the J Wilson Hepburn's name and address in Fowey.

Another useful point is that the label has been signed by the person that did the varnishing as completed on 26/07/71 which nicely puts the picture as being painted in late 1970 or very early 1971.

All in all some very useful information to add to the J Wilson Hepburn factfile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
We own an original J Wilson-Hepburn painting.
My late Father bought the painting from a local Waring and Gillow Store way back in the 1970s.
It's a large picture of a scene with a Farmer ploughing a field.
It's a lovely painting, however, we have no idea of value etc.
I think my Father paid over £200.00 for it back in the mid-70s.
Do you have any information of value's and his success as an artist?
Regards.
Debbie R.

Jacqquie said...

John Wilson-Hepburn was my Uncle and liv£ in Fowey. He took up oil painting in the latter years of his life and became very successful. I remember when I was quie young he submitted three paintings to the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy but he was unsuccessful.

Cup Cake Time said...

Hi I am doing some research on this artist as my stepfather bought me a print yesterday purchased at a market near Sheffield where we live. He bought it as I wanted a large frame to use for a border for my daughters wedding table planner. She gets married at the Fowey hotel next July and her partners family own a property in Polruan across the Fowey estuary. Imagine my surprise to find the artist lived on the road behind the very hotel she will be married at! I was going to paint over the print but now I have read your Blog I dont feel I can! I too am liking at the world in a different way today! Both me and my daughter are also J Wilson!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacquie
My father loved the painting your Uncle painted..
It must have been painted by a Farmers field that was being ploughed.
It’s a great painting…pity he didn’t get the recognition he deserved..
Thank you for posting your reply..
Debbie.