Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Everything can be found somewhere on the internet where everything means 99%

The all mighty google search these days means that anything no matter how obscure can be typed into its search box and before you know it you are surfing through thousands of pages about some obscure tiny subject.

However, every so often I run a search on google which reminds me that even given the infinite large number of pages of the internet I still cannot find the one page I want.

When I was young probably around 15 years ago I went to the Scilly Islands and at the time I found a print which I just had to buy. Cant remember how much it cost. My parents bought it for me and it has been one of my most prize possessions ever since especially as my parents had it framed for me.

So one evening I am looking at this modern print which is a picture of Bishop's rock lighthouse in the moonlight in oils by J Wilson Hepburn. I think to myself I could use the *awesome* power of the search engine to find out more about this artist and see if there are other prints I would like.

So I pop along to google and type in the words "J Wilson Hepburn".

Google Search for J Wilson Hepburn

All you get is a few hints that there are indeed originals that have been sold at auction for not very large amounts but no sign of any prints.

Lot 33 - J. Wilson Hepburn - oil on board A view of St Mawes.

Lot 40 - J. WILSON-HEPBURN (XX): An oil on artist's board of the Fish Market and harbour of Mevagissey.

Bonham's - J. Wilson Hepburn, Moonlit river scene, oil on canvas, signed, 60 x 90cm. £94.
Just hints of things and the links don't really give you any further information.

Of course in searching it doesn't help that the surname is similar to "Audrey Hepburn"

Here is what I know I think he is a Cornish artist that painted in oils, I suspect in the late 1800's. Other than that I know very little.

If anyone could give me more information I would be very interested. If anyone knows of any prints or originals for sale I would at the very least be interested in hearing more. If anyone has the original of my print which I would guess is somewhere in the Scilly Isles I would be extremely interested.

Until I get this information and can post it on my blog I am afraid we must conclude that as of now the world is still larger and contains more information than the internet.

5 comments:

Ben Gill said...

Its funny I just typed in J.Wison Hepburn and found the same thing with the exception of your blog. I have a print I came across at a small market here in Melbourne Australia. The print I have is in blues and greens of an empty boat on the shore with waves in the background and a town/ighthouse of in the background... if you are interested I can send you a few pictures. Please email me at: archaea@optusnet.com.au Please mention the painting in the tagline... Thanks Ben.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've just googled the same because I have an original J Wilson Hepburn oil painting called The Country Summer. It's 36"x24" and depicts a river scene in the middle of the countryside. Again, if you would like a photo please email me at neil@gozomail.com. I'm in the UK.

Anonymous said...

I have an original oil painting by J Wilson Hepburn of Mevagissey Harbour painted from Johnny Frenchman's House.

Bought on my honeymoon 45 Years ago when we having coffee in local shop.

If interested I can send a photo
please email dr@davidrobertson1.plus.com

jaynesgrandma said...

I bought an original oil painting by J, Wilson Hepburn in 1970. It is called a 'farm-house scene', The dealer who sold it to me said that the artist was a Scotsman living in Cornwall. I assume the artist is still alive. I would like to hear if anyone knows.

Mike Wilmott, Wiltshire said...

I don't know if you are still interested, but J Wilson Hepburn was my my wife's grandfather. Although not his original career, he did make a living as an artist in the later years of his life, where he and his wife lived in a flat in Fowey. He died in the 1990's. I scraped together £125 to buy one of his paintings for my wife and I 30 years ago from his studio.