Sunday, May 20, 2007

Zephyrist's sunday night briefs

The week of the office move. In reality I have been too busy with other things to notice what has been going on in the world but here are a few things that you might have missed.

I have been quoted on the BBC.

Whilst checking through my stats which is one of the perks of writing a blog I notice some inbound links form the BBC. Apparently they search the interweb looking for quotes about their new programmes. I have been quoted for my comment on Balderdash and Piffle, yeah me.

"The presenter Victoria Coren is quite cute and she was exploring the origins of words. Fairly interesting stuff for the writers or aspiring writer or those with a healthy interest in what things mean."
Ok so out of all the best bits of my blog calling a presenter "quite cute" isn't exactly my finest hour but it is a start.

Quote of the day from the BBC

"I don't really understand what a website is."
-Judge in cyber terror trial at Woolwich crown court.

Good job he does not have to sentence criminals who might use the internet then. Oh dear.

Out for the count (BBC)

An article about the crisis in the drop in number of sperm donors. Apparently there are now only 208 in the UK leading to a big shortfall as the UK need about 500-600 to meet demand.

The main problem is the change in the law which means that children created from the sperm can find out the identity of the father when they turn eighteen. The article states that a donor could end up fathering up to 50 children. You can see why no one would fancy fifty people turning up at your door.

Danny Robbins (comedian) went on tour to try and drum up some trade including asking labour MP's outside the houses of parliament to make a donation.

So would you do it?

I do not think I would have a problem with the children knowing that I was the donor. I am not sure what relationship would occur between the father and the child if any but it wouldn't really freak me out. They would have a right to know who I was and I would be happy to meet them if they wished.

Why would anyone do it, well to help out couples where the father cannot provide the sperm, to give the gift of life and hope.

I was minded of the "police -could you?" tv adverts, "Sperm donors - could you?"

No comments: