Saturday, February 10, 2007

Snow Watch 2007 Update


Early on Thursday morning it started to snow, and by the time I got up in the morning the place was covered.

I only got the one photo just after 7 am. That is a picture of a road, even though the snow has completely filled between the pavements. If you look very closely you can just about see the lines of the pavement edge. I did try to take a few more pictures but the light level was too low and they came out all blurry.

I then had to catch my bus to work and crawled twelve miles taking a total of 3 hours where it normally takes 1 hour. Average speed 4 miles per hour.

On some of the back roads it was terrible even with careful driving the back of the bus would occasionally swing out.

Then we got stuck in a traffic jam and the snow fall picked up. I had visions of being trapped all day just like what happened to others in East Anglia a couple of year ago. Even the bus driver wanted to turn round but luckily the traffic suddenly cleared and we cruised down the roads.

Thursday night I got home and took a snow measurement. On the front lawn of the great house at 17:02 on Thursday 8/2/07, North Oxfordshire it was 12 cm deep. This was duly submitted to the Met office by the snow report link I gave earlier.

On Friday the snow was well on its way to melting and despite the Met office issuing a flash warning for more heavy snow nothing came of it.

As I write now on Saturday only the stumps of melted snowmen have survived and even they will soon be gone.

So that is the end of Snow Watch 2007 - Leg 2. Will there be a leg 3?

No comments: