Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The day the earth shook and then I went back to sleep

Earthquake felt across much of UK (BBC)

For those of you unaware today there was a minor earthquake in the UK, for people from earth quakes zones it was a minor quake of only 5.2 on the richter scale. For the UK this is a big one, we only get one of these once every thirty years.

Of course the public and the media especially got all excited.

The quake happened just before 1 am and it woke me up. I am about 130 miles away from the epicentre of the quake. I could sense the room moving from side to side and stuff or the building rattling in the roof space.

The immediate thought was that it was an explosion like the Bunsfield oil one or an earthquake. I kind of decided it was a quake and then tried to remember what you did in a quake, stand under a doorway or get outside. This took about ten seconds to think about and then it stopped.

Electricity Still on.

All quiet, no immediate danger.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I went back to sleep.

I am now off to fill in the British Geological Society Earthquake questionnaire on my experiences, contribute to the scientific understanding of Earthquakes in the UK.

No comments: